• what a story really is
• what it is actually doing to and for
you and other readers
• the magnetic power that attracts readers even before the introduction of any character
• what the thing called a ‘character’ actually is, and how to rapidly build a convincing one
• the things called ‘plots’, what they are and how they are actually made
• what ‘protagonists’ and ‘antagonists’ really are, and what the connection between them consists of
• the four categories of the powerful force that compels readers to turn pages
• the ‘nuclear reactor’ that drives all successful stories through to their conclusion
• how the four basic genres -Epic, Tragedy, Irony and Comedy- are composed and how they work to create different effects
and much, much more.
What the experts say:
An amazing book. Fascinating application of physics theory to the art of fiction writing.
Presents new ways of understanding how stories work.
I now look for"vacuums" everywhere. Excellent case studies covering all genres. Thought-provoking and inspiring. I highly recommend this book to all readers and writers of fiction.
- G. Leyland (B Social Work, Grad Dip Writing, MA Creative Writing)
What the authors say:
It's beautiful, informative, essential reading for anyone who wants to write fiction. It’s almost a responsibility point, you’re committing a crime if you don’t get it into peoples’ hands!!!
Your book is teaching me all the stuff that the other books don’t! I can learn all about three-act structures and all that stuff elsewhere -this book is telling me exactly what to put INTO the structure! It makes writing so easy and you can immediately spot where you’re going wrong! Excellent!
This is an absolutely amazing achievement! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in writing fiction.
I was extremely impressed. This is not idle flattery. You’ve done a superb job in uncovering the factors that go into making a great piece of literature.
I'm reading through "How Stories Really Work." I've studied writing books for years but I've never seen anything like this!
I learned about your work after reading an article you wrote. I was intrigued by the premise, but at the time, there wasn't an Amazon review (something I must rectify when I'm finished). I decided it wouldn't hurt to read the preview. . .And promptly bought it.
This book is REVOLUTIONARY. Everything is made so simple and precise that other methods of writing seem clumsy by comparison. It's not just a way of writing, but a way of seeing.
-A. P. (Author)